Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pot for Grandma's Cactus





We had purchased a plain terracotta pot for this cactus.  It was a cactus of my Grandma Novak's that was given to me after she passed away in September of 2006.  God's work has kept this cactus alive!  And it has been growing...so much that it is time for a new pot.  The little green plastic pot is just getting too small.  We found the wide-mouth pot at Meijer and thought it would be perfect.  We are going to replace the plastic green pot with another one similar in shape but larger in size and then fill between the two pots with decorative rocks.  I will definitely post an update when we do that!

As for decorating the wide-mouth pot...I started with plain brown tissue paper.  I wasn't sure what direction I was going to go from there, but knew I wanted to keep colors neutral.  I thought about cream colored tissue paper hand cut in a simple shape, and then started exploring some of my scrapbook paper.  I saw some tans, ivory, and orange.  I was going to go with orange, but as I have been not sure of the settings for the Cricut, I decided to do a practice sheet.  I found one that was about the same weight as the one I was going to use and went for that practice run.  Much to my surprise, the flowers cut quite well!  AND they just happen to match nicely too!  So practice run ended up producing some keepers!  Randomly, I placed them on the pot with a little extra Mod Podge as the paper is thicker.  Finished with some ruffly brown ribbon, this pot is going to be a great addition to our kitchen!  Todd thought the ruffles were a little girly, but I reminded him that I spend more time in the kitchen so it is ok!  I finally have a piece of my own handiwork displayed in my house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment